Feb 27, 2006
7 Truths About Tithing
1. Tithing was sanctioned by God before the Law was given. (Gen. 14:20; 28:20-22)
2. Tithing was sanctioned by God while the Law was in effect. (Lev. 27:30-32; Mal. 3:10)
3. Tithing was sanctioned by God after the Law was fulfilled in Christ. (Matt. 23:23; Heb. 7:8)
4. Tithing in the Old Testament was part of the moral law, not the ceremonial law. Jesus did not cancel the moral law; he confirmed it.
5. The tithe is one-tenth of all that God provides us.
6. The tithe is one element of giving to God, not its full extent. Both the Old and New Testaments speak of "tithes and offerings."
7. Jesus commanded (and commended) tithing after He had announced His Church. (Matt. 16:16-18; 23:23)